Close X

Tha Law Office of Mark Ruiz's Blog

What Happens if You Forget to Title Assets in a Trust?

Posted by Mark Ruiz | Aug 17, 2020 | 0 Comments

Often times when people come to my office to set up a Trust they ask me about what would happen if if they forget to title their house or car or bank account in their Trust.  This often happens in situations when people are in a rush to do their Trust. While most of the time I recommend that at the very least their Real Property be titled in the name of the Trust, there are times when this is impractical, such as when a person is going in to the hospital next week for a surgery and they would like to have something in place before they go in for a surgery "Just in Case".

In these situations, what would usually happen is that I would draw up a Trust, and include a "Schedule of Trust Assets".   I would list with as much particularity as possible the nature of each asset such as "Personal residence at 123 Elm Street, with Assessor Parcel Number xyz".  I would also mention "Schwab Account Number 54321 with a balance of approximately xyz". All other Real Property and Financial Assets that the grantor wants to go into the Trust should be mentioned in the Schedule of Trust Assets as an Attachement. Simultaneously, I would draft a "Pour Over Will" which is a basic Will that stipulates that all of of the Testator's assets can go into a Trust.

If these two measures are taken, even if, for example, a grant deed on the Elm Street Property is never recorded it should be fairly simple to transfer the assets into the Trust even if the Grantor passes away before transferring the assets. The procedure in California is very simple.  It is known a Motion to Confirm Trust Assets, also known as a Heggstad Petition.  With a Heggstad petition, Trust Assets can be confirmed and transferred into the Trust without the necessity of Probate or Intestacy.  Interestingly, right out of Law School, I worked as a Contract Attorney for the attorney who invented Heggstad Peitions and worked on my first Heggstad petition under his supervision and since that time I have helped a number of Estates transfer assets into a Trust through Heggstad petitions.. 

So, the bottom line, if you forget to transfer assets to your Trust before you pass away, there is still hope that your assets will pass through your Trust rather than through Probate or Intestacy BUT you must be sure that the assets are included in the Schedule of Trust Assets AND There is a Properly Drafted Pour Over Will.


This article is intended for general information purposes only.  Any legal analysis or other content should not be construed as legal or professional advice or substitute for such advice.  No attorney-client or confidential relationship is formed by transmission of information.  If you require legal or professional advice, please contact an attorney or other suitable professional advisor.  The choice of an attorney or other professional is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements and blog postings.


About the Author

Mark Ruiz

Mark A. Ruiz Attorney/Owner Mark  primarily focuses on Business Law, Real Estate Law and Estate Planning.  He holds a Bachelors Degree from Santa Clara University with an emphasis in Business/Marketing and a Law Degree from the University of San Francisco with a Business Law Certificate.  He ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Our firm

Our firm specializes in helping businesses, individuals and families with all their legal needs. Our philosophy is centered around client responsiveness and taking a solution oriented approach to problems. We are here to serve you, so call us today!

Hablamos Español


The Law Offices of Mark Ruiz is committed to answering your questions about Wills & Trusts, Business Law and Real Estate Law issues in Redwood City and the Greater Sacramento area.

Contact us for a consultation and we’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.